Wednesday 22 June 2011

Presenting the 'here and now'









As a notorious over thinker i spend too much time worrying about the past or dreaming of the future, and not enough time living in the present. I resent that drunken comment which i made last Saturday night, and worry about what to wear this Friday night. Knowing full well i will find the perfect outfit and the drunken comment has been long forgotten, along with the number of tequila slammers i lined up that night.
In order to get the most out of life we are told to 'seize the day'. So why do so many of us have trouble living in the now? We are constantly distracted by mental thoughts of being somewhere else, whether that's tucked up in bed, out with friends or on holiday. We are dreaming of the perfect place and how happy we will be when we get there. Whereas in reality, happiness is achieved by putting 100% focus on our immediate needs.
I am about to step into my first ever long distance relationship this is my ultimate test of living in the here and now. Weekends together will be short and far between. So this is my vow to make every minute we spend together count. I will not dream of perfect weekends spent picnicing because it will only end up raining or get angry that my train was delayed and we missed drinks with friends.
I will remember there is no better time than the present, and if not i always have my summer holiday to look forward too.

No comments: